M made these super cute fingerprint snowman glasses to give as part of his gift to his teachers, grandparents and aunties and uncles. I wanted little B to help too, but he was in a mood… 2-year-olds… *sigh*.
- Dollar store glasses ( I used brandy glasses, because I thought the rounded shape would be good for the snowman’s face, and glass mugs)
- DecoArt Americana Gloss Enamel paint (black)
- DecoArt Glass Paint Markers (orange)
- A cute, willing assistant who can make good thumb and pinky prints 😉
Making Fingerprint Snowman Glasses
- Wash the Dollar Store glasses in soapy water.
- Squirt some black gloss enamel paint onto a paper plate and have your assistant dip his/her thumb into it. Make 2 thumbprints on the glass for the snowman’s eyes (I had M dip his thumb before each time he made a print). Makes sure to make the prints far enough from the rim of the glass, because they are not designed to come into direct contact with food or drink.
- Next, have your assistant dip his/her pinky into the black paint and dot on some prints for the mouth.
- Take the orange glass paint marker and colour on a lovely carrot nose for your snowman.
- If you want to personalize the glasses, write the name of the recipient along the base of the glass or anywhere you desire (remember to stay away from the lip of the glass though).
- For a dish-washer safe finish, let the glasses cure for about 8 hours (I let ours sit for a day) before placing them onto a baking sheet in a cold oven, set at 375°F for 40 min. When the 40 min. was up, I turned off the oven and left the oven door open for a while to help cool them off slowly. I don’t know if this step was really necessary, but I was feeling a little paranoid and didn’t want a glass to shatter in my face because it had a sudden change in temperature!
- If you follow the directions above, these snowman glasses truly are top rack dish-washer safe. I ran a couple through our dishwasher just to make sure the paint didn’t come off!!
Is it just me, or does eggnog taste even better from a festive glass?
Check out how we used these fingerprint snowman glasses as part of our gift baskets for M’s teachers and lucky relatives!
Have a merry Christmas!